Kelli Connell (born 1974) is a contemporary American photographer. Connell is known for creating portraits, which may appear as self-portraits. Her work is held in the collections of the Columbus Museum of Art, the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, the Museum of Fine Arts Houston, the Museum of Contemporary Photography and the Dallas Museum of Art.
Kelli Connell became a photographer to explore how photography can raise questions. In 2011, Decode Books released her first monograph, Double Life, in which she presented 36 color photographs of two young women occupied in their day to day activities of pleasure and reflection. Double Life seeks to question ideas of identity, gender roles, and expectations made by society on the individual. The series, which depicts a woman in a romantic relationship with herself, shows the "couple" having intimate and private moments in their lives. Connell uses her art to define the multiple sides of the self in the overall human experience. The portraits are also a case of identity. Connell worked with the same model over a series of years to produce the work.
Connell is married to sculptor Betsy Odom.
- Columbus Museum of Art
- Dallas Museum of Art
- Los Angeles County Museum of Art
- "Carnival", 2006, Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York City
- Museum of Contemporary Photography
- Museum of Fine Arts Houston
- Double Life, Columbus Museum of Art, Columbus, Ohio, 2004
- Kelli Connell: Photographs, Kendall College of Art and Design, Ferris State University, Grand Rapids, Michigan, 2009
- Kelli Connell (2007). "Bio & Resume". Kelli Connell. Retrieved January 22, 2012.
- Leo Costello. "Kelli Connell: Double Life". Art Lies. Archived from the original on February 26, 2013. Retrieved January 22, 2012.
- Martha Schwendener (2007). "Art in Review; Kelli Connell". Arts. New York Times. Retrieved January 22, 2012.
- Christopher Harrity (2012). "Artist Spotlight: Kelli Connell". Photography. The Advocate. Archived from the original on January 24, 2012. Retrieved January 22, 2012.[better source needed]
- "Kelli Connell – Faculty – Academics – Columbia College Chicago". www.colum.edu. Retrieved March 26, 2020.
- Maloney, Meghan (March 8, 2013). "Kelli Connell and the Intimate Other". In the In-Between. Retrieved January 9, 2020.
- "Carnival". Metropolitan Museum of Art. Retrieved January 9, 2020.
- "Kelli Connell: Photographs". kcad.ferris.edu. Retrieved September 8, 2020.